Wednesday, January 12 2022

A Chicago man accused of discharging a gun at an occupied vehicle on New Years Day has become the first person this year to be charged with attempting to shoot someone in Windy City while awaiting his trial for a previous crime, according to a local report.

Carlos Martinez, 24, faces a charge of aggravated firearm discharge in an occupied vehicle, Chicago police said.

CHICAGO JUDGE REJECTS LIGHTFOOT’S REQUEST TO END ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE OF “VIOLENT AND DANGEROUS” OFFENDERS

Martinez and another man opened fire on a group of men in a car around 8:30 p.m. following an argument outside a Belmont Cragin restaurant in the 3100 block of North Central Avenue, CWB Chicago reported.

Carlos Martinez, 24, faces a charge of aggravated firearm discharge in an occupied vehicle, Chicago police said.
(Chicago Police Department)

Deputy State Attorney John Gnilka said in a bail court hearing this week that although no one in the car was hit, Martinez shot himself in the hand, according to The report. Martinez reportedly shot himself before shooting the group. He was arrested while trying to get into a vehicle.

Martinez was awaiting trial on an aggravated impaired driving case at the time of the shooting, the station reported, citing court records. He was also twice convicted of impaired driving and twice jailed for illegal possession of firearms.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Martinez’s arrest is the first of the year for someone awaiting a felony trial after allegedly killing, attempting to kill or shooting someone in the city, CWB reported. Last year, the local outlet reported that there were 62 such cases in Chicago.

Martinez’s bail was set at $ 70,000 during the shooting. He must pay $ 7,000 to be released under electronic surveillance, according to the station.

He was reportedly held without bond under the impaired driving warrant.

Previous

Columbia firefighters respond to house fire on New Years Day

Next

Delaware Valley honors wrestler killed in New Years crash

Check Also