As Maury County entered a new year, members of Columbia Fire & Rescue rescued one person and two domestic cats in an early morning fire that swept through a local home.
At 6:49 a.m. on New Years Day, Columbia firefighters responded to reports of a burning residential structure on South High Street.
Upon arrival at the scene, firefighters found thick smoke coming from a house as flames spread inside.
“Two rooms were on fire when we arrived,” Ty Cobb, department head, told the Daily Herald.
One person, who was inside the house at the time of the fire, was assisted by service members and transported to the Maury Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries caused by the fire. smoke inhalation.
While fighting the blaze, firefighters were able to locate two pet cats trapped inside the burning house and bring them to safety.
Firefighters gave the animals oxygen after removing them from the smoky building.
“It was a good ending to a scene that could have been a lot worse,” Cobb said. “It was our first fire in 2022.”
“They were able to save the two cats from the burning building and quickly put out the fire without incident,” said Hanna Miller, a spokesperson for the department.
The Columbia Police Department and Maury Regional EMS provided assistance at the scene.
Since Tuesday, the cause of the fire continues to be investigated by firefighters.
Cobb is calling on all residents of Maury County to take precautions during the cold winter months and many continue to use heaters for warmth.
“This time of year, it’s important that you know when your heaters are off,” Cobb said. “When you put something on it and it goes off, it can easily start a fire. As always, make sure your smoke detectors are working.”